News | Our Programs & Community
Slices of Pie Newsletter June 2018
Slices of Pie May 2018
Features: Academic Summer Programs K-12 Last Chance, Fallon Career Day, Calendar Contest Winners, Karen Brown Energizes Learning, Problem Solving Through Robotics
Plus: News Around Town
Get Slices of Pie, Subscribe!
Get your slice of local news hot off the press, sent directly to your email inbox.
Academic Summer Programs K-12, Last Chance to Register!
Our summer school programs include courses for elementary school, middle school & high school students. Summer courses for elementary & middle school students are challenging and fun. They offer a unique twist on academics and learning. High school summer courses are accelerated, challenging & fully accredited. Courses start early June.
DPIE Supports Fallon Middle School Career Day
May 25 | By Michael Utsumi
This spring, one of the traditions among the district middle schools continued. On March 28th, Fallon Middle School hosted their annual Career Day. On the surface, the goal of presenting such an event may appear to be somewhat modest. In truth, it is an immense challenge to capture the imagination of almost 500 – eighth graders – many of whom that had dressed as if they were on a job interview.
Calendar Art Contest Winners Announced
May 16 | By Katherine Utsumi
On May 8th the winners of the Dublin Partners in Education “What Makes You Smile?” Calendar Art Contest were announced at the Dublin Unified School District (DUSD) Board Meeting. This contest was developed to feature student art work in a wall calendar that will be sold as a fundraiser for our organization.
Karen Brown Energizes Learning in Fun Summer Course–The Science Behind Forensics
May 16 | By Rich Boschetti
Are you looking for something fun and different for your middle school student to do this Summer? Are you seeking a fun way to stimulate your child’s mind and interest in education? Or are you simply trying to avoid the “learning loss” that many middle school students suffer over the course of summer vacation? Whatever your motivation, the DPIE Middle School Summer STEM Academy may be just what you and your kids are looking for.
Problem Solving Through Robotics at Murray After School
May 11 | By Michael Utsumi
If you don’t pay attention, a Sphero Ollie may just roll over your shoe. Is this robot out of control? No, it was programmed to do just that. During the winter session, Doreen Bonde taught “Introduction to Robotics” at Murray Elementary School. She was able to couple one of her many passions with a hands-on learning opportunity for several students.
- STEAM Elementary Summer Camp – Now enrolling – Learn more & enroll online
- STEM Middle School Summer Program – Now enrolling – Learn more & enroll online
- STEM High School Summer Program – Now enrolling – Learn more & enroll online
- STEAM Afterschool Courses for Dublin elementary schools – Stay tuned for our Fall schedule!
Social Media Highlights
- We would like to wish everyone a very happy summer. We also don’t want to lose sight of the coming school year, so we would like to invite YOU to our Back to School Splash at The Wave! | May 27, Facebook & Twitter
- Thank you Wells Middle School Roadrunner Color Guard for the beautiful picture. We can’t wait to hang it in our office. | May 25, Facebook
- We were proud to support the Fallon Middle School Career Exploration Day. Thank you to Liz Buckley, Fallon Counselor, for sharing her insight on the event. | May 25, Facebook & Twitter
- Congrats to all the student film makers at the 4th Annual Dublin High School Film Festival. An amazing evening showcasing their talents | May 17, Twitter
- The winners of our Calendar Art Contest were recently acknowledged at the DUSD Board Meeting. Thank you students for sharing your amazing talents with us! | May 16, Facebook & Twitter
- During the winter session, Ms. Doreen Bonde taught “Introduction to Robotics” at Murray Elementary School. Visit our website to learn more about this course taught by this “pioneer” in our STEAM After School Program. | May 14, Facebook & Twitter
- DPIE’s Summer Camp features half day academic programs organized by local teachers and qualified educators. The program is open to students from all school districts. | May 4, Facebook & Twitter
Upcoming Events Around Town
- The Wave to Open Daily, June 2 – August 12, at Emerald Glen Park | June 2, Olga V. Mack, onedublin.org
- 31st Annual Golf Tournament | June 4, chambermaster.com
- The Summer Reading Game starts today! Stop by the Dublin Library to pick up your gameboards | June 4, (Dublin Public Library) eventkeeper.com
- Ambassador Team Meeting | June 5, chambermaster.com
- Economic Development Speaker Series | June 7, chambermaster.com
- Join Drea Lusion for her Curious Circus! A fun and original show, great for children 5 and older! | June 14, (Dublin Public Library) eventkeeper.com
- One-on-One Resume Critique | June 18, (Dublin Public Library) eventkeeper.com
- Adult Computer Class: iPhone/iPad Photography | June 28, June 18, (Dublin Public Library) eventkeeper.com
News from Around Town
- Reflecting on Their Time as Editor-in-Chief: Four Years of Determination, Passion, and Leadership | May 22, Grace Li, Elizabeth Fu, Alexandra Stassinopoulos, and Ashley Kim, thedublinshield.com
- “Educate” is Final Piece Screened at Annual Dublin High School Film Festival | May 21, Michael Utsumi, onedublin.org
- Dublin High School Senior Awards Night Class of 2018: “I am Dublin High” | May 20, onedublin.org
- The Powderpuff Game, A Fun, Energetic Evening | May 16, Kaushikee Nayudu, thedublinshield.com
- DHS Enjoys The Spring (and Potentially Final) Carnival! | May 16, Danielle Tran and Mandy Tran, thedublinshield.com
- Tri-Valley Youth Exposition Coming Saturday to Emerald Glen Park After Three Years of Planning | May 15, Michael Utsumi, onedublin.org
- Cottonwood Creek School to Offer a Unique K-8 Education Experience | May 13, Michael Utsumi, onedublin.org
News Around Town, showcases news and events that align with Our Mission: Uniting Local Business & Community for Public Education.
Support Public Education
- Share Slices of PIE with a friend, send them this link (https://www.dpie.org/newsletter/2018-06/) and connect with us: Facebook, Twitter
- Whether you’re a student, parent or local business-we encourage and welcome your participation:
Donate | Partner | Volunteer
Dublin Partners in Education (DPIE)
Uniting Community & Local Business for Public Education
Digital Marketing by Diablo Valley Design
Get Slices of Pie, Subscribe!
Slices of Pie, an email newsletter uniting community and local business for public education.